Yahoo Weather

You are here

Reader appreciative of cousin saving her life

Last night (Saturday), while dining in a steakhouse, Ronnie Evans (my cousin) and his wife Lori, were eating with Jim and me.

When our food arrived, everyone jumped right into their food.

All were talking – I took a bite of steak – and I was unable to swallow it. I kept trying and it was lodged into my throat — I did not want to alarm anyone – but when I realized I could not breathe and started making a loud wheezing noise (of which NONE of this has ever happened to me – nor have I been around anyone that this has happened to).

I looked at Jim and he said, “are you okay?” I shook my head no and I pointed at my throat – I could not speak. Ronnie said, “are you choking”” I shook my head “yes” and he said “seriously”” and I guess he saw the look in my face and said “stand up now.” I did and he came around the table and started the thrusting of his arms around my lower chest; immediately the piece of steak came out of my mouth/throat and fell to the floor.

At this point I could tell the restaurant was in total silence. Normally, I would be so embarrassed about “causing a scene” but all I cared about was how thankful I was to be breathing. Needless to say, I did not have any more food! And a couple of people came up and told me they were glad I was okay.

Ronnie saved my life. I cannot even begin to explain how fast all of this happened and how fast the end result could have been so different.

In our world of so many bad/sad things happening – and captured in our newspapers – I thought it would be refreshing for you to know about one of your (our) hometown heroes!

Gina Cox Wiertelak

Memphis

Close
The Cabot Star Herald, Lonoke Democrat, and Carlisle Independent websites are available only to print and digital subscribers. If you are already a subscriber, you can access these websites at no additional charge.