Sylvania Evangelical Presbyterian Church, located in Ward, recently called Dr. James Edward Pitts to serve as pastor.
Sylvania Presbyterian Church in the Sylvania Community east of Cabot was established by the Reverend James Wilson Moore in 1843. In 2001, Sylvania Presbyterian Church and it’s property was dismissed from Presbyterian Church USA to the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.
Pitts formerly served as Pastor of Pea Ridge Presbyterian Church for eleven years in Clio, Ala.. He and his wife, Nora and little spaniel, Lily now reside in the Sylvania community. They are the proud parents of two daughters, Sarah, who lives north of Chattanooga, Tenn., with husband Adam, and two sons; daughter Rebekah lives in the Atlanta area with husband Brad and two daughters.
According to a press release, Pitts believes that the Bible is the only infallible authority for what “we are to believe and how we are to live.” His ministry emphasizes faith in and commitment to Jesus Christ. He usually preaches and teaches through books of the Bible, chapter by chapter.
Services begin on Sunday morning at 9:45 a.m. for Sunday School, 11 a.m. for worship and 6 p.m. for the evening worship. To quote Pastor James, “Let’s Study The Bible Together”.